If you’re picking out a diamond engagement ring, you might feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of options in the market. But before you delve into what color and style you want, you should first learn whether to choose a natural or lab-grown stone.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation both online and offline about these sparkling stones. Some people say that mined diamonds are extremely overpriced while others refer to man-made diamonds as fakes. These are only some of the wild falsehoods you’ll hear in the industry. We’re here to cut through some of the rhetoric, so you can make an educated decision about what kind of diamond is right for you.
Introduction To Man-Made Diamonds
Man-made diamonds are created inside a laboratory instead of mined out of the earth. Things just get complicated because of the words used to describe lab-grown diamonds and their cousins, and not everyone uses these terms in the same way.
Let’s start with the word “synthetic.” Generally, we know anything synthetic as being artificial or even fake. In the gemological world, however, this is a highly technical term. In this case, a synthetic diamond contains the same chemical composition and crystal structure as a natural diamond. That means they can have the same hardness, sparkle, and value.
Pros Of Owning Lab Grown Diamonds
1. Become a Trendsetter – These diamonds are new and exciting. Since the jewelry industry has been around for ages, it’s fascinating to see something new in the business. While man-made diamonds have been around for decades, it is only recently that we started seeing them reach a level of size and quality that is comparable to natural diamonds. Owning one instantly makes you a trendsetter.
2. They Are Environmentally Sustainable – There is a general consensus that lab-grown diamonds take significantly less energy than mining it out of the ground. There is also no need to displace tons of soil to grow these stones in the lab.
3. Avoid Blood Diamonds – The issue of “Conflict” or “Blood” diamonds is a hot topic for many consumers. The real world problem is actually not as grave as many people imagine. In fact, 99.9 percent of natural diamonds are conflict-free and you can always have your gems verified. Nevertheless, it is still reassuring to know that what you are buying did not support child labor or wars in any way. That is the confidence you enjoy when you choose lab-grown diamonds because you can be 100% certain of their origin.
4. Save More Money – Price is one of the biggest factors for that every consumer considers. With the latest technology, the quality of man-made diamonds can be at par with mined ones. What’s more is that you might be able to save up to 30 percent with synthetic over a natural in most cases. The savings only get higher if you are looking for a colored diamond because its natural counterparts are extremely rare and thus, are more expensive.
Cons – Why They May Not Be Your Match
1. Misinformation Often Cause Misunderstanding – Since many people still can’t grasp the process behind lab-grown stones, they may have a few unpleasant things to say about your diamond. After all, you can’t educate every person you meet about synthetic stones. In reality, even experienced gemologists can have a hard time distinguishing natural from lab grown. So of course, you don’t have to tell anyone that yours is synthetic. What matters is that you know the real value of your diamond and you treasure it.
2. There’s An Option To Recycle – If you want to leave the least carbon footprint as possible, you can always go for a recycled natural diamond. This is not really a con of man-made diamonds, but it’s something to think about if you want to limit your environmental impact. Diamonds are extremely durable and it can be passed on for generations.
3. It Takes Jobs Away From Developing Countries – Just as man-made stones support more advanced economies, they also take jobs away from developing nations. A diamond mine, when run responsibly, can provide jobs to its host country. Often these countries are impoverished and need the income from mining to help elevate them out of poverty.
4. You Lose A Sense Of Wonder – Many couples find the history of a natural diamond romantic. Some people may find it silly, but there is something special about knowing that your diamond was forged through different processes inside the earth for hundreds of years. And the fact that you have something that has a rich history is truly a great wonder in itself. Each natural diamond is a unique work of nature’s art. On the other hand, synthetic diamonds are mass-produced in factories. The glamor or mystery of the stone may feel lost because of this.
Should You Buy A Lab-Grown Diamond?
The decision is solely up to you and your partner. Don’t let yourself be pressured into buying a piece that you don’t love and support. There are pros and cons to each option, so don’t feel guilty when you hear people say that it’s unethical to purchase an earth-mined diamond, and vice versa.
Consider your peace of mind, price, romance, and how you feel about the purchase. Now that you have a better understanding of what goes behind the production of synthetic diamonds, you can make a more informed decision.
Biltmore Loan and Jewelry have you covered with a selection of natural and lab-grown diamond as well as beautiful jewelry to set them in. Expect upfront and honest descriptions of every product, and a proven track record of remarkable prices.
You can also sell or use your jewelry as a collateral for a loan with us. Get the maximum loan amount for your precious possessions through a secure and hassle-free process, no credit checks required. Call us today at (480) 705-5626 or visit our office in Chandler or Scottsdale, AR. You may also fill out our online form for a free estimate.