Because picking the perfect dress or pantsuit to wear on a date, office party, or casual day isn’t hard enough, you also need to choose the right accessories to have a flawless outfit of the day (OOTD). Will your yellow gold necklace match your little black dress? Or maybe white gold would be more fitting? Picking jewelry can be difficult, especially since there are many different types and styles to consider. That being the case, our goal here is to help you master the art of picking jewelry based on your personality and preferences.
Things to Consider When Choosing Jewelry
Here are some things to think about before buying jewelry.
- Coordinate jewelry with your style
Although matching your jewelry and OOTD seems obvious and easy, it may not be as simple to people who don’t wear jewelry too often. For example, not everyone knows that certain outfits look more put-together when accessorized with gold jewelry instead of sterling silver and vice versa.
If you prefer laid-back outfits such as denim jeans and white t-shirts, choose simple necklaces with thin chains and pendants. On the other hand, if you love the classy “boss lady” look, take your outfit to the next level by accessorizing with chic and simple metal bangles, hoop earrings, or diamond studs. During a night out with your beau, if you are planning on wowing him with a plunging neckline, a layered necklace will elevate your look by adding a captivating shine. Last, if you adore big, bold jewelry (a statement piece), you can coordinate it with small-patterned or one-colored clothing to avoid looking like there’s too much going on.
- Choose jewelry that complement your favorite colors
Black, white, gray, and nude are classic wardrobe colors that go well with most precious metals and gemstones. But if you are someone who prefers louder color palettes, then consider picking jewelry that complement your unique color choices best.
- Aqua and other light blues go well with pearls, yellow gold, and silver jewelry.
- Thulian pink and mauvish colors look best with white gold and yellow gold jewelry.
- Maroon and other deep reds match well with yellow gold and silver jewelry.
- Pine and blue-green hues go best with white gold, yellow gold, and silver jewelry.
Keep in mind that you can always mix and match your pieces and that there is no right or wrong when it comes to wearing jewelry. Layering or combining precious metals is a trend of its own and can make any outfit look unique.
- Match jewelry to the undertone of your skin
The traditional skin undertones are warm, cool, and neutral. How fair or dark your actual skin is does not matter because your undertone is a separate subject.
You can determine your undertone by checking the color of your veins:
- If your veins are greenish, then the undertone of your skin is most likely warm.
- If your veins have a bluish or purplish hue, then you most likely have cool skin.
- If your veins match the color of your skin, then your undertone is neutral.
Knowing the undertone of your skin is important because it helps pinpoint which type of jewelry will suit you.
- If your undertone is warm, wearing yellow gold and rose gold jewelry with colors such as orange, pink, red, blue, green, and yellow will look best on you.
- If your undertone is cool, wearing silver or white gold jewelry with colors like purple, blue, and green will look best on you. However, avoid colors such as yellow and orange since they usually don’t go well with cool undertones.
- If your undertone is neutral, then you’re in luck because both yellow and white metals will flatter you perfectly.
- Wear jewelry that matches the occasion
Diamond earrings and loose bracelets that sparkle will make you look even more irresistible on a sexy date night. Diamonds blend well with every color and style, and they make any ensemble stand out in a crowd.
If you plan on wearing something plain and one-colored, you can go all out with your jewelry. Bulky statement necklaces and bangles look amazing when paired with a plain, simple dress or a white shirt and shorts.
The options are endless when it comes to work-appropriate jewelry. Whether your workplace has a formal or casual dress code, just remember to choose pieces that match the outfits you usually wear. For instance, if you are someone who goes to work wearing a graphic tee shirt and jeans, then elevate your look with tasteful gold hoop earrings and bangle bracelets. If you love to dress up in sleek blazers and pencil skirts, a boss lady like you will shine even more with a pair of diamond stud earrings and a classic Love bracelet.
- Buy jewelry that speaks to you
Choose the pair of earrings, necklace, bracelet, or ring that shows off your personality, even if the fashion industry says that it’s no longer in style. If you see yourself as an old soul who loves the 60s and 70s, do not hesitate to wear bohemian clothes and vintage jewelry pieces. You will always be you no matter how fast fashion trends change, so pick jewelry that highlights who you are.
The Bottom Line
If you choose a sapphire engagement ring because you love blue gemstones, or if you purchase a rose gold necklace because you saw a celebrity wearing it — that’s great! As long as you feel beautiful and confident, then what you choose to purchase and wear shouldn’t matter. However, there may be times when you buy a piece of jewelry that looks amazing on a friend but doesn’t look as flattering on you. That’s where your understanding of color blocking and skin undertones become useful. Keep these tips in mind the next time you choose your jewelry.
Shop and Sell, All in One Place
To find the perfect jewelry for you or a special someone, shop here. If you have pieces of jewelry in your collection that no longer complement your style, personality, and preferences, complete our online form here so we can evaluate them and make an offer. You can also contact us at 480-991-5626 (Scottsdale, AZ) or 480-705-5626 (Chandler, AZ) to schedule an appointment.