If you’re a luxury-obsessed fashionista, cleaning out your closet and giving up designer items for resale can sometimes feel like losing the love of your life. The process can be guilt-ridden (I can never sell this, my mom gave it to me on my 21st birthday), full of indecisiveness (I can sell this! Wait! Never mind, I can’t let this go!), and made complicated by your fear of missing out on trend revivals (But what if blazers with big shoulder pads make a comeback?).
Because your wardrobe represents your past, present, and future self, it can be difficult to let go of your prom dress from the 90s, the Jimmy Choo shoes you wore on a memorable first date, or the bikini you plan on wearing when you finally achieve your weight loss goal. Thus, the question is, with so much sentimental value in each item, where do you even start?
Here are some tips on how to declutter and sell luxury items in Phoenix, AZ.
1. Have a valid reason for purging your closet
Do you really need a dozen of the same handbag in different colors? Is it necessary to have an entire drawer just for designer t-shirts? Wouldn’t it be better to let them go, make money, then perhaps invest in something different or more useful? If your sense of fashion is evolving in a different direction; if you need more room in your closet for newer pieces; or if you need money for personal matters — these are all good reasons to purge your closet.
If you don’t have a compelling reason to let go, then bouts of guilt and indecisiveness, as well as your fear of missing out on returning trends, will always outweigh your need to declutter.
2. Master the art of emotional detachment
As torturous as this may sound, one effective way to clean out your closet and let go of designer items for resale is to assess things from an objective point of view. Consider asking yourself the following questions:
- When did I last wear or use this? If your answer to this question is “never” or “once in the last six months,” then it might be time to let go.
- Does this still fit me? There’s no point in keeping something that no longer fits you. If it’s been a year since you were able to squeeze yourself in that fabulous Balmain or Chanel jacket, make money from it instead then buy a new one in your current size.
- Does this reflect my sense of style today? How you dressed in your 20s may not be how you dress in your 30s and 40s. If you’ve outgrown the clothes, shoes, and accessories in your closet, then it’s time to move on and sell.
3. Find a reputable buyer of designer items
Because scammers and counterfeit goods are serious concerns when selling and buying luxury pieces, an important factor to consider when selling designer items is the company’s reputation and credibility. Biltmore Loan, for example, has an in-house team of appraisal experts who can extensively assess your designer product for authenticity. Therefore, if you sell your jewelry from Cartier or Tiffany & Co. to us, rest assured that we will offer you a fair and competitive price.
Over 100 murders and other crimes have been linked to Craigslist. Don’t be the next victim. Add the following articles to your reading list to learn more about why you should trust Biltmore Loan with your designer goods:
- 5 Reasons to Choose Biltmore Loan Over Craigslist
- Pawn Shop vs. eBay: Where to Sell Your Stuff in Phoenix AZ
4. Do your research on the brand and item you wish to sell
It helps to be knowledgeable in how certain brands and products command higher resale values than others. Hermès, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton are the “holy trinity” of designer brands, meaning handbags, clothes, accessories, and other products from these fashion houses usually have the best resale value. Just keep in mind that a number of factors help determine the resale price of designer items regardless of their name brand. The overall condition of an item, its original retail price, and current market trends are some of the key determining factors.
If you are looking to sell preloved luxury bags in Chandler or Scottsdale, AZ, here’s how you can maximize their resale value.
5. Don’t forget to ask the important questions
Before you sell luxury items, ask your buyer the following questions:
- How will you pay me? Don’t leave room for surprises when it comes to payment. Some buyers will give you the option to receive payment through Paypal or mailed-in checks. In addition, ensure to ask when you will receive your payment. By knowing when to expect a payment to go through, you can follow-up in case you don’t receive your payment within the agreed period. Here at Biltmore Loan and Jewelry, we are happy to inform you that receipt of payment is immediate upon our successful assessment of your item. Walk in with your valuables and walk out with cash in hand. It’s that simple.
- What if you don’t accept my item? There are many reasons why we might refuse an item. It can be due to poor overall condition, lack of demand for the brand or style of your item, or authentication concerns. If this happens, take advantage of the opportunity to inquire about luxury investments that guarantee financial return. You might have something else in your home that commands higher resale prices.
We hope that these decluttering tips and tricks encourage you to purge your closet. Once you’ve purged your collection of unused fashion and jewelry pieces, simply bring your high-value assets to one of our locations in Phoenix or complete this online contact form to get a market appraisal from our specialists. Our goal is to offer you the best possible price for your luxury items in the Chandler and Scottsdale areas — a fact that sets us apart from our competitors.