Your totes, satchels, clutches, and saddlebags are more than pretty little things; they could also be an investment portfolio. Pre-owned designer handbags from Hermès, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Nancy Gonzalez, and other leading luxury handbag brands are taking the secondary market by storm. For this reason, now is the best time to sell your designer handbag in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe making a healthy profit is not a concern for you and you simply wish to upgrade your purse to a new style or color. Whatever your reasons are for selling, preparing your handbag for sale and understanding your options are crucial to receiving the best possible price for it.
It’s normal to feel anxious when making a decision to sell your beloved Lady Dior or Givenchy Antigona. Where does one start? What’s the process? How does one avoid getting scammed? These questions can cause reluctance and discourage both women and men from selling their designer bag. These people, in turn, are either cursed with a bag they don’t want, or miss out on the chance to cash in on their luxury bag.
In this article, we will explain the ways to prepare your bag for purchase and how you can avoid scam artists in the process of finding a suitable buyer. Using this information will assist you in making an informed decision when selling, as well as help you receive a high price for your asset.
How to Prepare Your Designer Bag for Resale
Receive the maximum resale price for your bag by following the essential steps below.
1. Determine the Condition of Your Bag
First thing’s first, categorize the condition of your bag according to this guide:
- Pristine. The bag is in “store fresh” condition, which means it has no detectable signs of wear. A bag in pristine or perfect condition should look, feel, and smell the same as it did when you bought it from the store.
- Excellent. The bag is in near perfect condition, although it may have some minor signs of wear. If there are any imperfections, they’re barely visible.
- Very Good. The bag may have some obvious signs of wear, although it remains in near excellent condition. Bags in very good condition are often older pieces with visible signs of aging, including very minor discoloration, wear, and/or scratches.
- Good. The bag has moderate imperfections. These visible defects might be from aging of the bag, regular wear, and/or mild surface scratching.
- Fair. The bag has noticeable imperfections, including scratches, discoloration, tearing, and/or shape loss. The item remains in fair condition and may be sold at a reduced price compared to similar bags in better condition.
Being completely honest with yourself when determining the condition of your handbag plays a significant role in helping estimate the price it may fetch. For example, a Chanel Classic Flap or Hermès Himalayan Birkin in very good condition may sell for 80 to 90 percent of its original price, whereas the same coveted handbag in pristine condition may command 120 percent of the original price. You also have the option to upgrade the condition of your handbag from, for instance good to excellent, by sending the product to a credible restoration shop. Céline, Marc Jacobs, and a few other high-end brands typically have good repair policies.
Please note that the estimates mentioned above are approximations only and are not guaranteed.
2. Do Your Research About the Bag You Wish to Sell
Once you determine the condition of your designer handbag, the next important step is conduct research. Identify the intricate details of your bag, including its specific style and size, the leather it’s made from, and what type of metal was used to produce the hardware. Furthermore, do you still have the original box, dust bag, and other accessories? All of these elements are pivotal to maximizing the resale value of your bag.
It’s also important to set your expectations and understand that some bags simply command higher prices than others. While the value of luxury handbags can fluctuate due to ever-changing trends, these iconic designer bags have the most resale value:
- Hermès Birkin. Spotted on the famous arms of Kate Moss, Alessandra Ambrosio, Victoria Beckham, and the entire Kardashian-Jenner clan, the Birkin is arguably the most sought-after handbag of all.
- Hermès Kelly. The always-elegant Kelly bag is a constant favorite of Miranda Kerr, Sarah Jessica Parker, Emma Watson, Beyoncé, and, again, the Kardashian-Jenners.
- Chanel Classic Flap Bag. Rita Ora, Demi Lovato, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley are some of the many rich and famous who travel around the world with this bag.
- Chanel Boy Bag. Jessica Biel, Bella Thorne, and Taraji P. Henson are among the many celebrities who love to accessorize their outfits with this piece.
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull. This popular handbag continues to be one of the fastest-selling handbags in the world, and even A-listers such as Sofía Vergara, Diane Kruger, and Reese Witherspoon adore it.
3. Take High-Quality Photographs of the Bag
The last step in preparing a designer bag for resale is to take a series of pictures of the product using a good digital camera and a plain, uncluttered backdrop. Ensure to highlight the design, hardware, color, as well as any imperfections of the bag in the photos. Learn how to take proper images of your handbag here.
Compiling all of the necessary information and photographs can help you to provide a clear and descriptive listing for the handbag you wish to sell. Remember, preparation is always key to a successful and profitable sale.
Where to Sell Your Designer Handbag
Once you’ve prepared your handbag for the secondary market, it’s time to make a decision about where you want to sell it. While you have several options to consider, including online selling and swapping, the most recommended option to avoid scammers is to use a trusted business. Here at Biltmore Loan and Jewelry, for instance, we use data from thousands of sold items to set prices according to designer, product style, age, condition, and present-day market demand. Our goal is to offer you the highest possible price for your luxury handbag in the Scottsdale and Chandler area—a fact that sets us apart from our local competitors.
If you wish to sell your designer bags for fast cash, please complete our online form to request a free market appraisal.